Give the gift of a wheelchair

Donate now!

give your helping hand
to those who need it!

Donate now!

help us diagnose and provide
support to children with disability

Donate now!

give the gift of hearing

Donate now!

We need your support

Donate now!

Infectious Causes of Childhood Disability

Infectious Causes of Childhood Disability: Results from a Pilot Study in Rural Bangladesh

G. Khandaker¹²³, M. Muhit4 5, H. Rashid¹, A. Khan4, J. Islam4, C. Jones2 3, R. Booy¹²³

Journal of Tropical Pediatrics (2014)

1: National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance of Vaccine Preventable Diseases, Australia; 2: The Discipline of Paediatrics and Child Health, The University of Sydney, Australia; 3: The Marie Bashir Institute for Emerging Infections and Biosecurity (MBI), Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, Australia; 4: Child Sight Foundation (CSF), Dhaka, Bangladesh; 5: Faculty of Public Health and Life Sciences, University of South Asia, Dhaka, Bangladesh



Purpose: To identify the contribution of infectious aetiologies to major childhood disabilities in Bangladesh.

Methods: Active community-based survey was conducted for severe childhood disability using the Key Informants Method between September 2011 and March 2012 in a rural sub-district of Bangladesh.

Results: We screened 1069 children and identified 859 with severe disabilities. The mean age of the disabled children was 8.5 year and 42.9% were girls. The major forms of impairments/conditions were cerebral palsy (n 1⁄4 324, 37.7%), hearing impairment (n 1⁄4 201, 23.4%), physical impairment (n 1⁄4 147, 17.1%), visual impairment (n1⁄449, 5.7%), cerebral palsy with epilepsy (n1⁄439, 4.5%) and epilepsy (n 1⁄4 41, 4.7%). Congenital rubella syndrome was identified in 1.1% (n 1⁄4 9). 7.1% disabilities resulted from clinically confirmed infections, and another 10.8% originated from probable infections; thus a total of 17.9% disabilities were related to an infectious origin.

Conclusions: Infectious diseases appear to be one of the major causes of severe childhood disability in rural Bangladesh.



Infectious Causes of Childhood Disability- Results from a Pilot Study in Rural Bangladesh (PDF 164KB)